Guest Comment: Public comment regarding DiSC traffic analysis provided to Board and staff

Matt Williams speaking during a public comment in April

By Matt Williams

Tuesday evening at the City Council meeting, I provided the following written public comment. To avoid misleading city staff, I provided a copy of the issues to key staff members… Dianna Jensen, Bob Clarke, Sherri Metzger and Mike Webb… via email on Monday.

Madam Mayor and Members of City Council, this email (and the forwarded email below) is submitted as general public comment for tonight’s council meeting. The attached email was sent to the four staff members listed yesterday so that they would be informed in advance of the issues I am submitting to you here. I received a response email from Sherri Metzger stating, Thank you for your inquiry regarding the DiSC 2022 project. I will need to check with City staff to determine what we should do to answer your questions. We will get back to you.

I thanked her for this answer and I hope to receive the answers soon. The four questions posed to staff (and to you, the Council) relate to the information available to the voting public regarding Measure H. In summary, these questions are:

    1. How are the 11,284 new net daily vehicle trips distributed over the hours of a typical day?
    1. The net new outbound vehicle movements at PM rush hour in the traffic analysis represent only 35% of the total of 2,335 new employees reported by EPS, which begs the following question: “How do the other 65% get to work? »
    1. “How did Fehr & Peers find the breakdown of outbound commuting destinations it provides in Volume 2 traffic analysis?” At a high level, this means that Fehr & Peers predicts that approximately 22% of PM Peak Hour trips will lead home from work to locations within the city limits of Davis, an additional 23% will lead to locations that could be Davis, but could also be beyond Davis City Limits, 34% going east on Interstate 80 and 22% going west on Interstate 80.”Is the expected breakdown of DiSC employees used for purposes of travel distances and GHG calculations? »
  1. Table B-12 of the EPS report reports that only 187 “Project residents believed to be working on site.” This means that only 40.6% of the 460 residential units will house a DiSC employee… less than that if any of the residences houses more than one DiSC employee. “Are these numbers correct and should they be made available to Davis voters.” It should be noted that the DISC 2020 project is committed to ensuring that at least 60% of its housing is occupied by one or more DISC employees. The reduction from 6)% to 40% is both significant and significant.

Me and the voting public of Davis look forward to an early sharing of answers to these important questions. Your leadership in ensuring that this goal is achieved by staff is greatly appreciated.

Respectfully submitted.

matt williams

— Forwarded message —

Since: Matthews Williams

For: Dianna Jensen ; Bob Clarke ; Sherri Metzger ; mike webb

CC : Zoe Mirabile

Shipped: Monday, April 18, 2022, 5:02:39 PM PDT

Matter: Fw: Email to Dianna Jensen, Mike Webb, Bob Clarke and Sherri Metzger on traffic research – your thoughts and suggestions please

Dianna, Bob, Sherri and Mike, I took a deep dive in the DiSC EIR Addendum and the Davis Innovation & Sustainability Campus 2022 (DiSC 2022) Volume 2 – Traffic Operations Analysis to research the Yes On Measure H claim that “Measure H improves our existing pathways, adds new bike and pedestrian paths, creates a safe underpass on Mace Boulevard, and reduces travel times near the interchange Mace / I-80.

This deep dive has resulted in several questions I have, the answers to which I believe will provide useful educational information to Davis voters. These questions are:

  1. The EIR says “According to Fehr & Peers, the DiSC 2022 project would generate 11,284 net new daily vehicle trips, with 1,052 trips occurring during the morning rush hour and 1,155 trips occurring during the post-peak hour. -noon.” A quick calculation shows that the two peak hours combined account for less than 20% of the 11,284 daily net new vehicle trips. The question that arises is, “How are the remaining 9,000 trips distributed in an average day? » A hourly chart similar to Wisconsin’s would be a useful educational tool for voters.
  2. Analysis of data tables from the Volume 2 – Traffic Operations shows that the 1155 PM peak paths consist of 822 off-DiSC paths and 333 to-DiSC paths. I’ve provided the aisle-by-aisle breakdown below. Given the total of 2,335 new hires reported by EPS, 822 outbound trips represent only 35% of the total, which begs the following question, “How do the other 65% get to work? »
  3. A breakdown of the 822 outbound trips yields the following distribution of destinations. “How did Fehr & Peers find this breakdown of outbound commuting destinations?” At a high level this means that Fehr & Peers projects that about 22% of the 822 will drive work to locations in Davis, an additional 23% will drive to locations that could be Davis, but could also be beyond the boundaries of the city of Davis, 34% is going east on Interstate 80, and 22% is going west on Interstate 80.”Is the expected breakdown of DiSC employees used for purposes of travel distances and GHG calculations? »
  4. And this last issue is not specifically a traffic issue, but rather a housing issue with travel implications. Table B-12 of the EPS report also notes that only 187 “project residents are expected to work on site.” This means that only 40.6% of the 460 residential units will house a DiSC employee… less than that if any of the residences houses more than one DiSC employee. “Are these numbers correct and should they be made available to Davis voters.”

Thank you for your attention to these important issues. I will be presenting the same issues to the city council tomorrow evening, and I wanted you four to have time to do some background research and/or contact Fehr & Peers before the city council meeting.

The chart below shows project-only volumes (in red) added to existing volumes for the peak PM period. The underlying chart is from 2020 Volume 2 – Traffic Operations Analysis

Charles J. Kaplan